What is the purpose of this qualification?
It is anticipated that the qualification will be of specific relevance to :
- People who are interested in a career in the health and social care sector who intend, but are not ready, to access level 3 qualifications or an advanced apprenticeship
- Young people and adults usually with prior attainment at level 1 and below, including those who have had a significant break form or disjointed experience of education, who wish to work in health and social care sector but need a broad grounding in the subject and an opportunity to develop more general workplace skill before applying for work .
What skills, knowledge , or understanding does this qualification develop?
This qualification provides a range of introductory skills, as well as core knowledge, relevant to health and social care, alongside generic employability skills which are needed both in the health and social care sectors and across other sectors. Mandatory units include :
- Duty of Care in Health and Social Care
- Communication in Health and Social Care
- Equality and Inclusion in Health , Social Care or Children's and Young People's Settings
Optional units include knowledge and skills relevant to different job roles in the sector( such as disability awareness, first aid, food safety) alongside generic employability skills ( such as leadership skills and settings and meeting targets at work )
Which sector does this qualification support?
This qualification could lead to a number of roles in health and social care such as health care assistant, community care worker, older people support worker.
What are progression options ?
learners can progress to a Level 3 certificate or diploma in Health and Social Care in any of the available pathways, including Tech level qualifications, Access to Higher Education Diploma in Health and Social Care or Early Years, or to Advanced Apprenticeship in Health and Social Care in any of the available pathways.
Progression & Entry Requirements
Learners do not need any prior qualifications or specific level of attainment to take this qualification although they will benefit from having English and Maths skills at a Level 1
This Level 1 programme of learning is aimed at those who want to work in the health and social care sector. It will provide you with basic care knowledge and skills, confidence, develop your communication, ICT and study skills in order to give you the best chances of employment and progression onto the Care Certificate which your employer will require you to study and achieve once employed. You will be studying:
- Introduction to the adult social care sector
- Introduction to the values and principles of adult social care
- Awareness of the skills and attitudes needed to work in adult social care
- Awareness of communication in adult social care
- Awareness of the role and responsibilities of the adult social care worker
This programme runs for 17 weeks, one taught session a week. At least 25% of your course will be by remote learning that will involve you carrying out activities outside of the classroom.